How to tell if you have a cold sore?
Typically, a cold sore’s onset is marked by a tingling or itching sensation around the lip. The area may turn red and swollen within a day or two, eventually developing into the familiar blister. They’re most contagious when fresh and oozing, so it’s crucial to be cautious during this time, especially with activities like kissing or sharing utensils.
Sometimes other issues like canker sores, blisters, or angular cheilitis, can be mistaken for a cold sore. So it’s always best to seek professional healthcare help to make sure you’re getting the correct diagnosis and treatment.
How to manage cold sores?
There are a few common ways to manage and treat cold sores, including medications, home remedies, and preventative measures. Always consult with your doctors to make sure you’re taking the right actions.
- Medications: Various treatments can accelerate the healing process. Over-the-counter or prescription creams can alleviate symptoms, and antiviral medications can reduce the frequency and severity of outbreaks.
- Home Remedies: Simple at-home treatments, such as applying ice or aloe vera, can provide relief. Over-the-counter pain relievers might also ease discomfort.
- Avoiding Triggers: If you’re prone to cold sores, steering clear of triggers like stress or excessive sunlight can help prevent flare-ups.
How can Phenix Health help treat your cold sores?
With Phenix Health getting cold sore help is easy and fast. Our team of telehealth doctors and nurses can meet with you virtually over video chat to help evaluate the condition of your cold sore and make sure the diagnosis is correct and the best treatment is advised.
Overall, our healthcare team can:
- Recommend the right cold sore treatment, prescriptions, or preventive measures.
- Provide insights on avoiding cold sore triggers or managing symptoms.
- Offer consultations for more severe or frequent occurrences.
- Connect you with specialists, if required.
Remember, you don’t have to navigate the discomfort of cold sores alone. With Phenix Health Telehealth services, expert assistance is just a call or click away!